Thursday, January 30, 2014

Patch'n Paint'n rear end

The main project of the day was cleaning and painting around the back end of the car, the spare tire hatch and the lower rear fenders. I had scraped and wirebrushed this area on my previous "car day", so today was sanding, then a coat of primer and a first coat of white enamel. It is looking good, but I will probably do a second coat. Due to 5 or 6 degree C temperature today, I used two electric heaters to warm things up, and will leave them on for a couple of hours into the evening.




While waiting for the paint to dry I had a look under all four brake drums. I found the shoes and wheel cylinders to be surprisingly clean and neat... cleaner than I have ever seen on my cars, and there is plenty of wear left on the shoes.





I also patched the hole in the front right fender "wing" with some "glaze" filler. I will let that dry thoroughly before sanding it for painting.






And, finally, I stripped the tail light lenses and rear trunk handle from the parts car as they were in much better shape than the white car. That parts car just continues to give and give!













No comments:

Post a Comment