Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Dark Underworld

For the first time since I've had the car I had a good look at the underside today. It is now up on jackstands and the wheels are off.
At first glance it looks quite the mess, but upon closer examination it all looks amazingly good! There is surface rust, and some packed on dirt and mud, but everything important that I can see looks firm and solid, especially the exhaust system and the drive shaft (propellor shaft to Brits). The suspension and steering gear are all pretty rusty, and will need some good wire brushing before I can properly assess them, but the rubber boots and bushings seem to be in one piece.





I also removed the bumpers today, and will send them in for an estimate on replating. The rear bumper on the parts car might be OK if the replating costs are prohibitive.
There is quite a lot of bubbling and surface rust around the spare tire compartment which is accessed by a little compartment under the rear bumper. I have given that area and the trunk (boot) a good brushing, and my next task will likely be painting of those areas.









No comments:

Post a Comment