Friday, September 6, 2013

Purchase, and discovery of amazing historical coincidence!


March, 2013: Purchase and discovery of incredible historical coincidence!



Purchased a white 1956 Rover P4 90 from Walt's Towing in Gibsons for $800. It seems very original and in fairly good shape, no rust through anywhere. The interior will be the challenge, as it was left to rot for a few years. Cracks in the upholstery, mold and mildew on trim and headliner.





 

Shortly after purchase, I posted photos on my Facebook page, and a friend for Roberts Creek replied that it was the car previously owned by LJ who works at Gumboot restaurant. So I headed out there and made contact with LJ. He said it had been running the last time he had fired it up, but he just couldn't afford to continue with the parts etc needed to keep it going. I asked him if he knew where the missing ignition key was... no he did not, but he said they might be in the glovebox. I had thought the glovebox was locked, but he said it was only stuck... give it a good pull. He also said he thought the car had been a courtesy car for the Empress Hotel in Victoria.
Upon return home, I yanked on the glovebox door, and lo and behold.... no key, but a treasure trove of papers revealing pretty well the entire history of the car!
The car was purchased by Arthur Charles (Charlie) Bancroft from Sherwood Motors, Burrard Street in January of 1957.




Mr. Bancroft lived at 1009 Cook Street in Victoria at the time. 
Incredibly, that was right next door to 1005 Cook Street where my wife, 7 years old at the time, and her family was living. The car now in my driveway was right next door to my wife in 1957 and 1958! Both houses, 1009 and 1005 Cook Street are now heritage houses in Victoria, and now we have a heritage automobile to accompany them.

There is no evidence of any connection with the Empress Hotel.
Charlie Bancroft apparently died in 1965, and the car was inherited by his daughter, Doris Bancroft, who was a spinster and school teacher. Doris kept the car, and ran it for another 35 years, until her death in 2000. So the car was with the first owner's family for 43years!
The car then was registered with David Hogarth of SaltSpring Island for a year. I contacted Mr. Hogarth, and he revealed that he was a cousin of Miss Bancroft, and inherited the car from her. The historical connections continue, as my wife has family on SaltSpring Island.
After about a year, Mr. Hogarth sold the car to a  James McBride of SaltSpring Island in June of 2001. Mr. McBride apparently kept the car until 2007, and appears to have moved to Lake Cowichan in that period. It appears that Mr. McBride sold it to Jeffrey Wihlidal of Roberts Creek in August of 2007 for $1500, and the car then moved to the Sunshine Coast. Mr. Wihlidal is the friend of LJ, referred to earlier. They apparently tried to keep the car running as a daily driver, but eventually gave up, and left it to sit for a couple of years before turning it over to Walt's Towing.



5 comments:

  1. Looks like you have a nice Rover there, I have about a dozen pictures of it here as I was seriously considering buying the car myself when I first set eyes on it at Walt's Towing Yard. My common sense did finally prevail though with a little help from my wife, I didn't need another car to play with. Good luck with the restoration, I will be watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note. Do you live in Gibsons? You'd be welcome to drop by.

      Delete
    2. Hi Bill, yes I do live in Gibsons but likely even closer to you than you might expect, I am down in Hopkins Landing. I noticed the car in Walts and had looked at it with great interest, every time I drove past his lot the Rover tugged at me, I was relieved when the car finally went away. The irony of this is that the Rover disappeared from my daily drive only to reappear at a house on my frequent walk route(I assume your yard) I am glad though that the Rover is with someone who is obviously doing it justice. As far as the drop by invite goes I would like to sometime to see the progress that you are making on the old girl.

      Delete
  2. The car in my driveway is a parts car I found in Victoria with a good interior. I won't be working on the white car until January now. Is that your Consul in the photo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to tell in such a small photo but that is actually my Ford Prefect, similar to the Consul but smaller. The Prefect has not been on the road for a number of years now and is in a state of disrepair stuffed away in my garage at my Vancouver house. I don't have a garage here on the Coast so I am not making a lot of progress on my project these days, only when I am in Vancouver does anything get done. I now recognize you from the Driftwood players so I will contact you through the email address there as I don't usually splash my email on public forums, maybe I am a bit paranoid?

    ReplyDelete