Thursday, September 26, 2013

Brusha rust

Today was the first "Rover" day in more than a week. I started by pulling out the old "furflex". That's the round furry trim around the doorways. It pulled right off. more or less. It is attached with small tacks into some soft wood stripping installed inside the door frames. It should be fairly easy to reinstall. I will investigate buying some in red... my donor car has some quite new furlex, but it might not come off undamaged, and it is a light gray colour. I would prefer red.



The next job was to grind and sand off all of the scaly rust around the rear seat platform and the "ceiling". I found that a small wire brush attached to a power drill did the job quite nicely, and my rotary sander did very quick work of the "ceiling". This photo shows the rear seat platform half done.


I decided to pull off the rubber running board mats to see what was underneath. The rubber had been replaced once before. It was attached by a combination of glue and small screws. Three of the four running boards had a small aluminum strip attached under the rubber.






It was no surprise to find lots of rust there, but as you can see the drivers door sill is perforated. Fortunately the remaining metal is quite strong, so it should be patchable.


All of the interior is now sanded and ground as much as can be superficially. I will have to now decide what to do about stopping the rust. Rust Mort or POR products probably... and then I will begin work on the dashboard and instrument panel before beginnign to reinstall the interior upholstery.

 The good news is that this is the first, and hopefully only, rust perforation that I have found.

No comments:

Post a Comment