Friday, September 6, 2013

First attempts, and new keys

August 1, 2013

The car has been stored dormant for a few months while I finished rebuilding Michelle's brown 84 Westfalia van.
I made my first go at starting the car. I found the battery after some searching, under the rear seat. There is rust around the battery and rear seat platform, but it appears manageable. The car appears to be 12 volt, to my surprise, and positive ground, which is opposite to modern cars.
I put the battery on charger but it only seemed to take 11 volts, and I could not attempt a start as I still did not have a key.


August 16, 2013

I pulled down the instrument panel facia to access the ignition lock cylinder, removed it and took it to Tony's locks in Sechelt for new keys. $32.50.
After reinstalling the cylinder I tried the ignition. I did get the warning lights, but no starter turnover. probably the battery is too weak. Will try again later.

August 17, 2013

I was browsing online and discovered a 59 Rover P4 100 for sale in Victoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment