Saturday, September 7, 2013

Begin strip down

September 6/13

Now that it is known to run, it is time to begin stripping the car down to clean up the rust and ready it for the upholstery.
So I began assessing the door problem again. I figured out how to remove the right rear door fairly easily (though the bolts were seized and took some work), and with the door on the work bench I was able to peer in more easily to figure out the workings. It turned out on that door, that the main issue was simply seized mechanism, which I managed to free up with WD40, though that was tricky having to aim it by mirror and upside down. The right rear door was trickier still, as I ran into a catch 22.... the mechanism couldn't be easily fixed with the door shut, but I could not open nor remove the door with it stuck shut! In the end, I managed, with assorted scraped knuckles, to get some WD 40 in there, then pry the mechanism with a little nail bar. Eventually it popped open, so I was able to then remove the door. That door will require a new mechanism, which I guess I will steal from the grey Rover.




September 7/13

I removed the front doors today. This was an uneventful project, as I had the experience of the rear doors under my belt. Having the doors off will make access to the interior seats and upholstery much more workable.

No comments:

Post a Comment