Monday, February 24, 2014

Tooling and Painting

Two main projects today, painting around the trunk and engine compartment, and cleaning up the classic tool trays.
It is still cold out, so I had an electric heater going in the trunk as I painted the exposed metal around the trunk opening in black "Magic Paint". I had a fair amount left over in my little paint tray, so I decided to also paint the conspicuous surfaces in the engine compartment. This was a bit of a risk because I could not put heat on the area, and the Magic Paint is supposed to be applied at 60 F, and it is only about 40 F out today. It does seem to be drying alright though, which encourages me to go to work on painting the wheel wells and undercarriage next "car day". That is exciting, because it is the only thing holding me back from getting the car back on the road.
The other little project is the "tool tray". This is a very unique little feature of the Rover P4, a tray of wrenches (spanners), air gauge, screw driver, touch-up paint, and a few other little essentilas that slides in under the glove box. As such, it is rather an essential little detail to clean up for display.
I bought some "Rust Off" and soaked the tools in that for a few minutes. That has done a nice job, but I still must refinish the mahogany facia. I have two trays, one from the parts car, so I get to choose which one will be featured in the '56.
Here are some before and after photos.






No comments:

Post a Comment