Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Patching and painting

More work on the undercarriage today. I have tried patching the rusted out spots on the frame members just behind the front wheels with fibreglass. This is the typical vulnerability of Rover P4s. Mine is not too bad, patching and keeping it off of winter roads should keep it manageable. I am not sure the fibreglass resin is going to set though, as I had to use some substitute hardener, and it is perhaps the wrong dilusion... will see by tomorrow.
I then spent the day painting the most conspicuous portions of the wheel wells and frame member with black magic paint. It is looking good.
This done, I am close to reassembling the car and getting it onto the road. One decision I am having a hard time with is the tires. They have whitewalls, but they are the narrower type, not of the 1950s. I could have them remounted with the black side out, but I rather like the look of the whitewalls. I am leaning toward leaving the whitewalls on at this point, but still have a bit of time to decide.
I also spent some more time buffing up the tools in the tool tray. Fiddly, but important.

No comments:

Post a Comment