Tuesday, May 20, 2014

All British Field Meet 2014

So, last weekend I entered the big leagues! I took my car to the All British Field Meet in VanDusen Gardens, Vancouver. This is one of the biggest British Car Shows in North America, with more than 500vehicles, ranging from $500,000+ Rolls Royces, Bentleys, Aston Martins and Jags, through Austins, MGs, Triumphs, and a couple of dozen BSA, Velocette and Norton motorcycles.
The Rover sedan contingent was small. with one P3, two P4s, a P5 and two P6s.
How did my car stand up in this crowd? Just fine, thank you very much. It is not concours standard by any means, but it fit in just fine. It was certainly better than the other P4.
This was also its first ferry ride, and trip to the big city, so I was a bit nervous about stop and go traffic, single lane bridges etc. It was a beautiful early morning drive in. I had time to kill so drove the lower Marine Drive route, and then through Stanley Park and Shaughnessy.
The show itself was fun of course, making many contacts with the Rover folks and other Brit car enthusiasts.
The drive home was a bit more nail biting. I had to hurry to catch the 5:50 ferry, so headed right through downtown traffic. The car handled just fine though, with no overheating or any other squawking... until just time to load onto the ferry!
Everything was fine into the terminal and stopping in line, and she started just fine when it was time to load. After just a few seconds though, the engine quit! I pulled over out of the loading line (fortunately it was before the actual ramp) and informed the ferry guy of a little problem. Once before I had got it running by wiggling the fuel pump, suspecting a vapour lock. Sure enough, it started and ran onto the ferry just fine. Suspecting low fuel (gauge still not working) I had my son stand by at the Langdale end with a gas can... but... no problem, it drove right on home. Hmmm???
I will check the fuel level and try to fix the gas gauge later this week. I also discovered a very loose fan belt and non-functioning brake lights, so those jobs will be added to the top priority list.



No comments:

Post a Comment