Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Licensed, insured and on the Road!

My "collectors" plates were approved and arrived at the local ICBC outlet, so of course I had to pick them up and get the car out on the road as soon as I could. I had it out on a one day permit about a month ago, but it was a miserable wet day and so didn't stay out long. This outing was more like the real thing.
Pat came along on the first drive to record it for posterity.



The plan was to go around Gower Point Road and back around through Gibsons, about a 6 km jaunt. All felt good for the first couple of kms, but then on Reed Road near Payne Rd, I got a bit of hesitation, as if one cylinder was missing. So we pulled over, and I snugged up all plug wires. It felt good again at that point, so we decided to press our luck out around Gower Point.
All was good until we got to the foot of Pratt Road at the Gower Point Road stop sign... the engine just died as I pulled to the stop. So I rolled across to the other side of the road and popped the hood (bonnet). There was no obvious problem, it had not overheated not run out of gas. I fiddled with the various ignition wires some more, but still no start. It was pleasing to have passers-by stop and ask if we needed help!
After about 15 minutes of fiddling, Pat got on the phone to dial up BCAA. I guess the car sensed the humiliation, because she started up! All was fine for the 3 km drive back home.
When we parked in the carport, Pat asked me to move it forward a couple of feet, but she wouldn't start! Again, after 10 or 15 minutes, she did start up again and purred like a kitten!
I posted this description of events on the Rover P4 Facebook page, and got pretty unanimous feedback that it is the ignition system, so I have ordered new points, condenser and distributor rotor.
We are off to a two week holiday in New Orleans and Texas, so will install those bits when I get home, and we will no doubt be happy!


No comments:

Post a Comment