Monday, October 21, 2013

The Doors

While the cat's away....  Pat is away for the week at a ceramics workshop on SaltSpring, so I get the whole week for working on the car as much as I can. I also took over her studio so that I could do woodwork refinishing in a warm environment.
I began with stripping off the old varnish from the dashboard, and after a while sanded it and varnished. It looks lovely!





 It was then time to have a look at the doors. I spent some time trying to free up the window cranking mechanism which had seized up on two of the doors. On one of them, the door handle mechanism had bent over, blocking the crank rods. On the other, the channel had gotten blocked with its own felt runner lining that had bunched up. I had to pull it right out so will have to determine whether or not to replace it. I think the window will crank just fine without it.
I had forgotten that two of the doors had seized door latches, so that has become a big job, and may well take up the rest of the week. It is very difficult accessing the latching mechanism as it is within the door, and the mounting screw are pretty seized. After a couple of hours and some skinned knuckles I managed to extract the driver's door latching mechanism. It is now on the vise, and I have freed up the seized part. I am not particularly looking forward to the reinstallation. And then I must go to work on the right rear door which has a broken rod in the mechanism. That will also require extracting the replacement from the parts car. Ho hum!
This evening I stripped the varnish off of the two rear door window surrounds. It will be quite satisfying to get those spiffed up. At least I can see the product of my work, as opposed to the door latches which are just necessary grunt work.

The culprit:



No comments:

Post a Comment